Hobby Update – Chaos Knight Desecrator / Rampager

Hi Everyone,

For my first post, I wanted to share my recent project building and painting the new Chaos Knight kit.

I’ll also show you how I magnetised the weapons to allow me to run it is either a Desecrator or Rampager.

I started by building the entire kit in sub assemblies. This makes the painting of the model a lot easier.

At the relevant points in the instructions, I took the time to add magnets to the points where the arms connect to the weapons.

To do this, I had to make some amendments to the arm joint.

Remove this part of the arm
So you are left with this
The resulting hole will be untidy – clean it up using a hobby knife or drill.
I used a drill to tidy mine
Fill the void with green stuff…..
Position your magnets into the green stuff before it goes off.

With the arms fitted with magnets, I then turned to the weapons themselves.

Fortunately, these come with a preformed hole, so I only had to fill it with green stuff and position the magnets as I did with the arms. You have to be careful with the polarity though! I put red dots on mine to ensure I had them the right way round.

Laser Destructor
Reaper Chainsword
Thunderstrike Gauntlet

With this completed, it was time to start painting! Having read the codex, I knew I wanted to paint the Knight as a member of House Vextrix.

First, I base sprayed the entire model with Chaos Black. I then added a spray coat of Leadbelcher to the legs, torso and all 3 weapons. I then moved onto layering and transfers.

Legs – washed with Nuln Oil, then drybrushed with Ironbreaker. I used Warpstone Glow for the green on the armour panels and cloth, and Leadbelcher washed with Agrax Earthshade on the trims.

As the sheet supplied with the kit did not have specific Vextrix transfers, I used others I had from the Renegade boxset and from my other Imperial Knight sheets. They were applied only with water – but you can paint a layer of ‘Ardcoat on the area first, this gives a good base to position the transfer. Once it is dry, seal it with another layer of ‘Ardcoat if you want a gloss finish, or with Lahmian Medium for matte.

Torso – same as the legs, Nuln oil wash with an Ironbreaker drybrush. Warpstone Glow for the green on the Ion Shield. Ushabti Bone washed with Agrax Earthshade for the skulls and the faceplate. Brass Scorpion on the faceplate trim. Leadbelcher washed with Nuln oil for the chains and pipes. Finally, Leadbelcher washed with Agrax for the armour trim.
Shoulder Armour – Warpstone Glow for the green, Leadbelcher washed with Agrax on the trim. Ushabti Bone washed with Agrax for the bone spikes, and Leadbelcher washed with Nuln Oil on the large spikes.

The last items to be painted were the weapons – they had layers of Abaddon Black on the panels, and Brass Scorpion on certain parts to break up the metal.

The finished article – Desecrator
Rampager
Rear View

I thoroughly enjoyed building this kit, and look forward to getting it on the table soon. Hopefully it won’t suffer too harshly from New Model Syndrome!